From June 14-20 this year, my colleague Kate McKegg and I ran a series of practitioners introductory workshops on Developmental Evaluation throughout Australia for AES (Australasian Evaluation Society) and provided participants with a CD of DE publications, resources and links.
First up is the core Developmental Evaluation text.
- 2010 Developmental Evaluation: Applying Complexity Concepts to Enhance Innovation and Use by Michael Quinn Patton. The first chapter is available as a free download from the Guildford Press website.
I also recommend two additional publications which can be downloaded from the McConnell Foundation website.
- May 2006 A Developmental Evaluation Primer by Jamie Gamble
- July 2010 DE 201: A Practitioner’s Guide to Developmental Evaluation by Elizabeth Dozois, Marc Langlois, and Natasha Blanchet-Cohen
One publication probably not so well known, is one that Michael Quinn Patton provided for the anzea (Aotearoa New Zealand Evaluation Association) newsletter in September 2009, Connecting Evaluation to What People Know.
A recent discussion on evaltalk (discussion list of AEA – American Evaluation Association) also identified some additional resources . You can hear Michael talk about Developmental Evaluation for about an hour at:
Also on the same site are series of 6 short question and answer clips from Michael.
Also look out for the the work of:
- Richard Grau-Wilson – my co-presenter at the G!Z Conference on Systemic Approaches in Evaluation
- Margaret (Meg) Hargreaves – one of my co-presenters at the AEA 2010 conference